An Obsidian Theatre Company, Necessary Angel Theatre Company, and Canadian Stage co-production.
Is God Is
By Aleshea Harris
Heads will turn and genres will be smashed in the Canadian premiere of this award-winning modern myth.
“Make your daddy dead,” A mother demands of her twin daughters from her deathbed, in the electrifying 2016 Obie and Relentless Award recipient from Aleshea Harris.
Their mother’s words set Racine and Anaia off on an epic journey for righteous revenge, from the Dirty South to the Hollywood Hills Letting no one stand in their way, they uncover the secrets of the mysterious fire that tore their family apart decades earlier. “I wanna step on somethin for once. See what it feel like. Must feel good,” says an unleashed Racine.
Equal parts ancient and modern, Spaghetti Western and Afropunk, this gripping thriller hurtles toward a conclusion that’s as inevitable as it is shocking.
Updated: 03 January, 2022
Update: In accordance with the Government of Ontario's latest COVID-19 guidelines, announced January 3, 2022, the productions of Solaris and Miigis: Underwater Panther have been cancelled. All ticket-holders will be contacted in the coming days to make arrangements for their tickets. It is our sincerest hope to bring these productions to our stages in the future.
We thank you for your patience and understanding.
The Canadian Stage theatre experience has been designed with the safety and comfort of patrons, artists, and staff as the top priority. Canadian Stage will continue to monitor and respond to governmental policy changes and advice from health authorities to ensure we are always up-to-date and offering the safest experience possible.
Things to know.
- Vaccination and Masks: Policies around face masks and vaccination are evolving. At the time of publication, face masks will be mandatory for all indoor performances, as will proof of full vaccination completed at least 14 days prior to the performance. Any changes to this policy will be updated on our website and communicated to all ticket holders in advance of their performance.
- Capacity Restrictions: All 21.22 performances beginning after March 16, 2022 are being sold to full capacity. It is possible that you will be seated next to parties outside of your household. Any changes to capacity restrictions will be updated on our website and communicated to all ticket holders in advance of their performance.
- Reduced Contact: As much as possible, interactions between staff and patrons will be contactless. This includes ticket scanning, box office transactions, and health screenings.
- Sanitation: Hand sanitizing stations will be available throughout the venue. All high-touch surfaces will be sanitized both prior to and following each performance.
- Protecting Your Purchase: We understand that things change. If a performance is cancelled or you are no longer comfortable attending the theatre, you will have your choice of one of the following:
- A full refund
- An account credit to use for a future Canadian Stage production
- A tax receipt in the amount of the ticket donation
Please do not attend if you have a fever or are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, have tested positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of attending, or if you have had close contact with anyone suspected or confirmed of having COVID-19.
All residents and visitors of Toronto must follow the City of Toronto's current Public Health regulations. Click here to view the current Public Health Regulations for the City of Toronto.
While we have put measures in place to enhance safety and help reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission from person to person, an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in public places where people gather. By attending Canadian Stage performances, you voluntarily assume all risks related to possible exposure of COVID-19. Failure to follow these guidelines will result in removal from the venue.
Canadian Stage has been awarded the Safe Travels Stamp from the World Travel and Tourism Council. This international symbol is designed to allow travellers to recognize companies around the world which have adopted health and hygiene safety measures that ensure customers experiences are safe.
Step aside, Quentin Tarantino and Martin McDonagh... A snarly new master of high-octane carnage has risen into view. And she—yes, she—is putting her own audacious stamp on that most venerable of pop genres…Is God Is sees fit to bring down the house. – The New York Times
Harris summons a language – absurd, fantastical, studiously mundane at times – that is entirely unique. – The Stage
Tarantinoesque bloodshed meets Greek tragedy in Aleshea Harris’s daring drama about a voyage of vengeance.– The Guardian